Apple is just toying with me

I’m sitting at home feverishly working on new Wiki features in preparation for my ass being out of the proverbial hot seat during FOSDEM, and what shows up in my well-worn maildir? The shipment notification for my new MacBook Pro.

I use my laptop for nearly everything and I’ve been frustrated with the speed for a while. The macworld keynote *wasn’t even over* when, with some fellow uber-dorks from work, I trundled down University Ave. to see if I could get my hands on one of these things. 2 cores, each faster than my current CPU? Yes, please. Now. Freaking right now!!!

Needless to say, that didn’t work. Who knew that they Apple stores don’t get shipments of stuff until it actually ships? We all skulked back to work laughing nervously at ourselves, all kind of thankful that we didn’t have to explain 3+ thousand dollars of new hardware to our respective S/O’s. Not that I’d let a little setback like that stop me.

As soon as the Apple Store (online variant) come gasping back to life, my order was in. RAM: maxed. Hard drive: spindle speed, baby! I think I might have actually signed away my vote in the next presidential election in the process. I sure as hell wouldn’t have noticed.

So it’s finally shipping. I should be ecstatic, right? Kinda.

Problem is that I’m also an unrepentant Unix dork. This little Powerbook has so many configuration tweaks and external utilities installed that transferring to another system will probably take me the better part of a week. Last OS update, my mail client alone took two days to resurrect. All of this means I can’t really trust new hardware enough to take it to conferences yet, even if it does arrive before I leave.

It’s a cock tease in the form of a laptop.

1. Posted February 21, 2006 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Yeah, you could probably use a new laptop. I’m sure your return key has been slapped to death by now.

2. Posted February 21, 2006 at 4:28 am | Permalink

Aw, my heart really bleeds for you.

Kidding… hope you have fun with it and tell us about it. My buying a Macbook is some way off.

3. wayneoo
    Posted February 21, 2006 at 10:22 am | Permalink

And theres me sitting here with my cruddy little Dell which is only 3 months old and already in need of a replacement: slow hardrive maxed out, case cracked, bios fails every other boot, etc etc!! If only I could run Visual Studio on a Mac!!! Heaven!!

;)

w.//

4. Posted February 21, 2006 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

You can, it’s called VirtualPC :)

5. Posted February 22, 2006 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I’m with you… switching to a new laptop is a huge process. My MacBook is set to arrive on Friday and I’ve been frantically moving all of my documents from my PC into my subversion, backing up all of my Cygwin/bash scripts, trying to figure out if I can migrate my outlook calendar or if I have to do it by hand, etc… I’ll be glad when the migration is behind me!

6. Dan
    Posted February 22, 2006 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Your cocktease will turn to blueballs when you discover that in practice the laptop is nowhere near “twice as fast”. Don’t you think it’s funny how everything Apple introduces is “the fastest thing ever”?

7. Posted February 22, 2006 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

What I’ve missed most about my old dual-proc setup was the lack of lag when background processes start to chug. Responsiveness is more than raw CPU speed, although I do look forward to a lot more of that as well.

Initial reports seem to suggest that my biggest problem (after getting it set up) is going to be preventing it from burning a hole in my leg.