I'm seriously mulling a move away from blogger.
I started this weblog because I needed to get some stuff out of my system (not that any of it was terribly important), but there are some things I'd like to do that blogger just isn't up to. For instance, I'd like to allow "threadable" user comments that use a netWindows widget to request content on the fly (i.e., no page referesh). So now I have to consider options for a new backend.
Web-based posting would be preferable, and I'm trying to stay away from PHP and Perl (security and maintenance nightmares, respectively). My hosting provider has both MySQL and Python 2.2 installed, so I'm thinking of rolling my own with either ZODB or MySQL (not under ZODB) as the storage medium.
Requirements for the project include:
- SPELLCHECK (will likely require custom aspell wrapper)
- really frigging short development cycle. I have almost no free time.
- ability to export to XML (RSS feeds, template engine, etc...)
- XSLT templating engine, because I'm ornery like that
- web-based editing, although a remote QT/PyQT app would be cool too. XML-RPC/SOAP interface isn't necessaray (but might be handy).
- simple user authentication. One user/blog.
- some way of importing blogger/MT entries
- entry headlines