Updated DHTML Universe Map

I’ve uploaded updated renderings (pdf or png) of the document I use to keep track of the non-trivial, public DHTML toolkit efforts that have occurred over the years.

Interestingly, the difference between this version and previous ones is that many companies are starting to either release or talk about tools that they had quietly built in-house years ago. Also, Google and Yahoo have been on something of a hiring binge. Yahoo seems to be dedicating more (visible) resources to their responsive UI cause than Google. The secrecy difference between the two cultures might explain the delta, but I’m convinced that’s not the whole story.

Also interesting is that many of the commercial DHTML toolkit vendors have been able to effectively keep mum about who is working on their products. The TIBCO’s, Backbase’s, and Bindows of the world must be paying their people astoundingly well for them to keep out of eyesight of the increasingly frenzied recruiters who are banging down the doors of every competent JavaScript hacker I know.

I will admit to not having kept this document as up-to-date as it should be. The proliferation of toolkits over the last year has been pretty astounding, and investigating each one to find out if it’s just another crappy 10-line XMLHTTP wrapper hasn’t been on the top of my list of things to do. So in true open-source style, your help is requested! If you have corrections or new information, please either mail them to me or submit a patch to the graphviz source file. The format is straightforward and easy to figure out.

1. sNate
    Posted February 16, 2006 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

That cluster around Dojo seems like a bit of bias, no? Prototype is extremely popular, should be trivial to find more nodes to lead into it?

2. Posted February 16, 2006 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

sNate: Yes, Prototype is popular, but it’s significantly less ambitious as well. Dojo has many committers because (like Yui and Kabuki), it’s trying to provide *so much*. Most of the capabilities beyond plumbing tend to be provided by toolkits like Scriptaculous in the Prototype “ecosystem”. However, if you know of other contributors to the Prototype project, I’d love to know who they are so we can add them.

3. Posted February 16, 2006 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Great map!

4. Posted February 18, 2006 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

We’ll keep you updated when we hire more JS developers at Backbase. Because our R&D department is in Amsterdam, some of our developers are just not very well-known in the US DHTML community. I also recognize the shortage of skilled JS developers: we’re now recruiting all over the world, talking to people in India, Russia, the US, etc (the Netherlands is easier on work permits than the US, luckily).

Jep @ Backbase

5. Posted February 20, 2006 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

What is the relationship between Plumtree and WebFX? Maybe Emil knows about this?

6. Posted February 20, 2006 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

It was my understanding that some menu or other controls were licensed for use, although I’m not clear on the details.

7. Posted February 21, 2006 at 1:26 am | Permalink

You are right. Plumtree licenses some of our code. I did not remember it but I found them in our licensee db.

8. Posted May 4, 2006 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Re: WebFX & Plumtree.

I liked the architecture of the WebFX menuing code and didn’t want to write my own. It was clean enough to use as a starting point for customizations we knew we wanted. So I talked Plumtree into licensing it.

It’s still in use today in BEA’s Plumtree-derived product line. Significantly refactored, initializable from XML, and now compatible with NS7.2/FF1.1, but still the same eventing core.

9. Posted June 1, 2006 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

OK, maybe you will browser this special one: http://www.linb.net/linb .

Event system based on ID, straight call and thread support…

One Trackback

1. By Jabber Tech - Technology on February 16, 2006 at 10:13 pm

[…] Originally by alex from Continuing Intermittent Incoherency on February 16, 2006, 1:42pm […]